It was hilarious and in my case the Emperor was a Store Manager. Nevertheless, there will be some point in your life where you will have to challenge upward as well. Below are some tips for your delivery:
- Watch Your Words: Even the emperor gets bamboozled at times, but at the end of the day they are still the emperor. There is a level of respect that comes with the title and that level needs to be present within your communication. Ensure that you are not insulting or degrading when passing the message
- Give the Benefit of the Doubt--Surely the Emperor did not INTEND to come out naked as a jaybird! Or at least, that's how you need to feel going into your argument. Giving some one the benefit of the doubt changes the way you interrogate them and formulate your questions. It will ease defensiveness
- Try to Make The Message Private: This isn't always possible, but in most cases it is. This may require a great deal of restraint, especially when the violation is something blatant like nudity; however, the ends justify the means in a very big way. Pulling your emperor to the side shows a level of empathy, it shows that you understand his role and that you are comfortable delivering tough feedback without an audience. He will begin to see you as a confidant.
- Let The Emperor Arrive At Your Conclusion: Instead of just saying "Hey you! Yeah you with your ass out!" you want to ask some probing questions (no pun intended). Walk them through how you figured out the issue and see if they can get there with you instead of trying to force it.
- Don't Get So Caught Up in Making YOUR Point, that you miss THE Point--The point is not that you become "that girl" or "that guy" who went off on the Emperor. The point is not that you're proving that you are right and they are wrong, or that you're worthy of promotion. The point is that you care enough to say something...
- Decide If It Is Worth It: You need to make a very conscious decision about whether this a battle you are prepared to fight. Everyone does not respond to feedback in the same way. What may be a small suggestion to you could be interpreted as your attempt to discredit their leadership. After all, its not always about being right...